Nespresso machines are well-known pod-based coffee machines that prepare espresso with a thick and rich crema. However, we may not always be in the mood for rich and dense espresso shots; sometimes we crave a smooth 8 oz cup of coffee.
So many Nespresso users and people who are willing to buy a new Nespresso machine are wondering, Does Nespresso make regular coffee?
Yes, Nespresso Vertuo machines make regular 8-oz serving of coffee, and they manufacture coffee-specific capsules as well. On the other Nespresso original line machines can’t make regular coffee directly and they are only limited to Ristretto, Espresso, and Lungo shots.
Making Regular Coffee with Nespresso Vertuo
There are five different sizes of coffee available in the Nespresso Veruo line, including single and double Espresso shots, five, eight, and eighteen ounces.
Nespresso originated in Europe and Espresso is one of the most famous coffee drinks in Europe.
“Most Europeans still begin their day with a shot of espresso and a croissant at the counter of their favorite neighborhood café before hustling off to work.” – Moon
Nespresso has been successful in the European market because of that, but to expand its market in North America it must offer a coffee option since Americans do not usually enjoy espresso shots first thing in the morning.
“Coffee is almost ritualistic for Americans. Most of this coffee is regularly brewed: the kind found in diners and restaurants, for example. But, noticeably fewer people drink Italian-styled espressos for their regular caffeine rush.” – Medium
To satisfy American consumers Nespresso launched the Vertuo line in 2014.
Vertuo Line Machines offers five different sizes of coffee and Espresso.
- Single shot Espresso (1.35 oz)
- Double shot Espresso (2.7 oz)
- Lungo shot (5 oz)
- Coffee (8 oz)
- Alto XL (18 oz)
Vertuo line machines from Nespresso use centrifugation brewing technology and have a special barcode system, so they only work with capsules designed for the Vertuo line machines.
For all these drinks, Nespresso has designed special capsules.
To make regular coffee with Nespresso Vertuo you simply place the 8 oz Mug-sized capsule in the capsule holder, and the machine automatically detects the capsule type and prepares the drink accordingly.
Here are the three models launched by Nespresso for the Vertuo line series.
- Vertuo Plus
- Vertuo Next
Nespresso Original line Machines don’t make regular coffee
Nespresso’s original line includes Pixie, Essenza, Citiz, and Inissia machines. These machines are limited to making espresso, ristretto, and lungo shots.
Furthermore, there are a few high-end models of Nespresso’s original line, namely the Lattissima and Creatista, which come with a built-in milk frother that allows for quick and easy preparation of milk-based espresso drinks.
How to make coffee with Nespresso Original line?
Nespresso’s original line machines can’t make a regular 8-ounce cup of coffee. However, they can make Caffe Americanos, which I think are more flavorful than a regular 8-ounce cup from a pod-based drip machine.
Americano is prepared by adding hot water to Espresso. This gives it a similar strength to drip coffee but differs in flavors and aroma.
“If you’re hankering for the closest thing to brewed coffee, ask for a caffè americano (Italy) or un café allongé (France) — an espresso diluted with hot water.” – RickSteves
There are two methods of preparing a regular 8 oz Americano coffee with the original line Nespresso machine.
- The first step is to prepare two espresso shots one after the other.
- As soon as the espresso shots have been poured into your mug, press the lungo button without inserting the lungo capsule into the machine. Repeat the lungo button one more time and this will give you an Americano cup that is 8 ounces.
Americano prepared in this way will be rich and intense in flavors.
- Insert the lungo capsule into the machine and prepare a lungo shot.
- Once the first lungo shot has been prepared, press the lungo button again without inserting the capsule.
Americano prepared in this way will be milder and a little bitter in flavor.
Can you use your own coffee with Nespresso?
Nespresso machines come with convenient pods or capsules that are designed for simplicity, reusability, and ease of use. Nevertheless, some people prefer to use their own coffee grounds, mainly because they are more economical and they enjoy the flavors of ground coffee better.
So, can you use your own coffee with Nespresso?
Yes, you can use your own coffee with Nespresso as many companies manufacture reusable coffee capsules both for the Nespresso Original line and Vertuo line machines.
There are, however, some cons associated with using these reusable capsules, and in my opinion, they easily outweigh their Pros.
- It’s economical as ground coffee is significantly cheaper than Nespresso capsules.
- It’s environmentally friendly. It is true that Nespresso has a good recycling system, but a portion of its capsules still end up in waste.
- You can use coffee grounds of your favorite brand.
- These reusable capsules aren’t designed by Nespresso itself so they may cause compatibility issues and may damage the machine in the worst-case scenario.
- Nespresso machines are popular because of their convenience and user-friendliness, but using reusable coffee grounds is quite a hassle, which defeats the purpose of the machine.
- Often you will end up with a weak, overly bitter, or watery cup of coffee.
- With original line machines, reusable capsules work fine in most cases, but I wouldn’t recommend using them with Vertuo machines.
Also read: How to use your own coffee in Nespresso
So I hope this article has clarified your confusion about does Nespresso makes regular coffee.
It is very easy and convenient to make regular coffee with Nespresso Vertuo line machines. However, you will have to do some extra steps when preparing Americano coffee with Nespresso’s original line machines.
The Nespresso Veruo line machines are the best choice if you like both espresso and drip coffee depending on your mood and don’t mind the cost of the coffee capsules. You can also opt for pod-based drip coffee makers like Keurig if you only want coffee.
- How to Make Iced Coffee with Nespresso
- How to Make Cappuccino with Nespresso
- How to make Latte with Nespresso
What Is the Difference Between Nespresso And Keurig?
The Nespresso brand is famous for its espresso coffee with a pressurized brewing system, while Keurig is famous for its regular drip coffee. However, both brands use pods to brew coffee.
What Are the Differences Between Nespresso And Espresso Machines?
Nespresso machines are user-friendly. Even a beginner can brew a shot of Espresso easily without learning the complex brewing process.
On the other hand, Espresso machines are complex and you need expertise in brewing to operate it properly.
Here’s a detailed guide on Nespresso vs Espresso