Most of you probably have your first Americano at a café! But what about brewing Americano at home? Sound amazing, Right?
Americano has a milder taste similar to traditional coffee and is ideal for those Espresso lovers who want a larger cup of drink so that they can sip it for longer.
It is worth blessing having a Nespresso machine at home, as it can brew Americano for you with much ease.
The milder taste of Americano may please you more if Nespresso is too strong for you.
In this article, we will discuss what is Americano and how to make an Americano with the original line and Vertuo line Nespresso machines. How to make Nespresso Iced Americano? Best pods for Americano and best Nespresso machine for brewing Americano? So keep reading to learn how.
How to make an Americano with Nespresso original line machines
Making Americano with Nespresso original line machines is pretty easy.
If you have Nespresso original line models like Creatista, Lattissima, Citiz, Inissia, Pixie, or Essenza, the built-in features in these models enable you to make espresso and hot water at the push of a button.
Also, these original line models help to get the exact espresso-to-water ratio for brewing the perfect shot of Americano.
- Place an 8-ounce coffee cup under the outlet of the Nespresso machine
- Place an espresso pod inside the machine.
- Press the Espresso button to brew an espresso shot.
- If you are a fan of a stronger cup of coffee then brew another shot of espresso.
- Eject the used pod by opening the lever of the machine.
- Press the Lungo button without inserting the pod into the machine to dispense hot water over freshly brewed espresso shots.
- Repeat the previous step one more time depending on your taste.
Also read: Nespresso Essenza Mini vs Plus
How to make an Americano with Nespresso vertuo line machines
Preparing an Americano with a Nespresso Vertuo line machine is a bit more complicated. The reason is that Vertuo line models operate by scanning the bar code imprinted on the capsule.
Therefore, the vertuo model can’t brew unless there is a pod in the chamber. That’s the reason it is quite difficult to get hot water with Nespresso vertuo line machine.
But you can resolve this issue by making hot water on the Stovetop and then preparing Americano.
Otherwise, you can run cleaning cycles to get hot water from the Nespresso Vertuo machine.
- Heat the desired amount of water. For preparing traditional Americano, you’ll need just about 3 ounces if you’re using a single espresso pod. You’ll need 5.5 ounces if you’re using a double espresso pod.
- Heat that water on a stovetop or Electric kettle.
- Brew a shot of Espresso in your Nespresso Vertuo machine. You can either brew a single shot or a double shot depending on your taste.
- Pour the hot water into the espresso cup.
Vertuo machines can brew 8 ounces of regular coffee that taste very similar to Americano coffee. That’s why I think it doesn’t make sense to prepare Americano coffee in Vertuo machines. You can use coffee pods to brew regular servings of coffee and you will love it.
Also Read: Nespresso Vertuo line vs Original line
Best Nespresso capsules for Americano
For Nespresso Original line machine
Normally, you can use any espresso pods to make Americano. There is a range of Intensity levels available that you can choose from.
- For a stronger Espresso taste: choose a pod having an intensity level rating of 9 or higher.
The ideal capsules, if you want to enjoy the more roasted and strong flavor with higher intensity, are Napoli or Ristretto. You can buy them from the links below
- For the mildest Espresso taste: Choose a pod having an intensity rating ranging between 5 to 7.
If you want a milder gourmand Americano experience, the best pods are cocoa truffle and Vanilla Eclair. You can buy these pods from the link below
- For the Lightest Espresso taste: Choose a pod having a rating of 5 or lower.
If you want to have a lighter Americano experience then Livanto or Volluto capsules will be a perfect choice. You can buy these capsules from the link below.
For Nespresso Vertuo line Machine:
With a Vertuo model, you can make an Americano with either single or double espresso pods.
However, it is recommended that other pods, such as gran lungo, coffee, and alto, would be unsuitable for Americano as it affects the flavor quality.
For a strong experience, Diavolitto Nespresso Vertuoline capsules are best. You can buy these from the link below.
However, if you don’t like strong coffee, then go with Altissio Nespresso Vertuoline capsules. These are best for Americano with mild flavors. You can buy these from the link below.
Related post: How long do Nespresso pods last?
How to make Iced Americano with a Nespresso machine?
The steps for preparing an iced Americano are very similar to those for making a traditional Americano.
- A Double espresso shot or a triple shot (according to your preference) for a bolder taste
- Ice cubes
- Cold Water
- A tall glass or cup
In Iced Americano add chilled water to Espresso shots, not hot water as in traditional americano.
- For a single espresso, use 2 ounces of cold water
- For Double espresso, use 4 ounces of cold water
Here are the steps for making iced Americano:
- Pull two separate Espresso shots or a double espresso shot.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes to the top and add cold water to it.
- Now add the freshly brewed Espresso shots to the glass.
- Enjoy your delicious iced Americano.
Difference between Lungo and Americano?
Many people are confused between Lungo and Americano. They consider these two the same thing. However, these are not essentially the same drink.
Lungo is not the same thing as Americano. Lungo, also known as “Long” in Italian, is a shot of espresso which is pulled for a longer period of time.
Preparing Americano with a Nespresso machine is not as simple as just pressing the Lungo button or using a Gran Lungo Vertuo pod.
Additionally, Lungo tastes much bitter as compared to Americano.
Read a guide on Nespresso Gran Lungo
What is the correct espresso-to-water ratio in Americano?
The water-to-espresso ratio in a regular cafe Americano is usually 2 to 1 or 3 to 1. This implies you should add 2 or 3 ounces of water to every ounce of espresso in your Americano. However, because everyone’s tastes differ, you can adjust this ratio according to your taste.
- How to make regular coffee with Nespresso
- Why Nespresso coffee tastes burnt and bad
- Nespresso vs Espresso Machines
I am Johny Morrisson! Founder of CoffeeAbout
My love for coffee dates back to my childhood. I love trying out different coffee machines and recipes.
As a coffee enthusiast, I decided to start my blog last year to provide users with useful information on brewing methods.
During this journey, I have discovered many new things and facts about coffee that I will share with you here.