Most of you probably have your first Americano at a café! But what about brewing Americano at home? Sound amazing, Right? Americano has the mildest taste as compared to black espresso and is ideal for those Espresso lovers who want a larger cup of drink so that they can sip it for longer.
It is worth blessing having a Nespresso machine at home, as it can brew Americano for you with much ease.
The milder taste of Americano may please you more if Nespresso is too strong for you.
In this article, we will discuss what is Americano and how to make an Americano with the original line and Vertuo line Nespresso machines. How to make Nespresso Iced Americano? Best pods for Americano and best Nespresso machine for brewing Americano? So keep reading to learn how.
How to make an Americano with Nespresso original line machines
Making Americano with Nespresso original line machines is pretty easy. If you have Nespresso original line models like Creatista, Lattissima, Citiz, Inissia, Pixie, or Essenza, the built-in features in these models enable you to make espresso and hot water at the push of a button. Also, these original line models help to get the exact espresso-to-water ratio for brewing the perfect shot of Americano.
- Under the coffee outlet, place a cup of about 6 to 8 ounces capacity.
- Place an espresso pod inside the machine.
- Hit the smaller cup button or select espresso to brew an espresso shot.
- If you are a fan of a stronger cup of coffee then brew another shot of espresso.
- Eject the used pod by opening the lever of the machine.
- When there is no pod in the machine, push the smaller cup button or choose espresso. Hot water will begin to start.
- Repeat the previous step one time or two times depending on your taste.
A stronger drink will result from two hot water cycles. Three hot water cycles will provide you with a lighter drink.
If you want to dilute the espresso shot or want to add milk, then steaming milk is the best option for a better taste. Nespresso Original line models like Creatista plus and Lattissima models have a built-in steam wand that makes it easy for you to steam milk.
If you have a basic Nespresso model like Essenza mini you can use Aeroccino 3 milk frother to steam milk.
Also read: Nespresso Essenza Mini vs Plus
How to make an Americano with Nespresso vertuo line machines
Preparing an Americano with Nespresso vertuo line machine is a bit more complicated. The reason is that Vertuo line models operate by scanning the bar code imprinted on the capsule.
Therefore, the vertuo model can’t brew unless there is a pod in the chamber. That’s the reason it is quite difficult to get hot water with Nespresso vertuo line machine. But you don’t need to worry about it; this issue can be counter easily by making hot water on the Stovetop and then preparing Americano.
Otherwise, you need to run cleaning cycles to get hot water from the Nespresso Vertuo machine. That water might be dirty if you haven’t cleaned it recently.
- Take the desired amount of water. For preparing traditional Americano, you’ll need just about 3 ounces if you’re using a single espresso pod. You’ll need 5.5 ounces if you’re using a double espresso pod.
- Heat that water on a stovetop or Electric kettle.
- Brew a shot of Espresso in your Nespresso Vertuo machine. You can either brew a single shot or a double shot depending on your taste.
- Pour the boiling water into the espresso cup.
Again if you want to dilute the Americano shot or want to use milk, you can use an Aeroccino milk frother for frothing milk.
Also Read: Nespresso Vertuo Next vs Plus
Best Nespresso capsules for Americano
For Nespresso Original line machine
Normally, you can use any espresso pods to make Americano. There is a range of Intensity levels available you can choose from.
- For a stronger Espresso taste: choose a pod having an intensity level rating of 9 or higher.
The ideal capsules, if you want to enjoy the more roasted and strong flavor with higher intensity, are Napoli or Ristretto. You can buy them from the links below
- For the mildest Espresso taste: Choose a pod having an intensity rating ranging between 5 to 7.
If you want a milder gourmand Americano experience, the best pods are cocoa truffle and Vanilla Eclair. You can buy these pods from the link below
- For the Lightest Espresso taste: Choose a pod having a rating of 5 or lower.
If you want to have a lighter Americano experience then Livanto or Volluto capsules will be a perfect choice. You can buy these capsules from the link below.
For Nespresso Vertuo line Machine:
With a Vertuo model, you can make an Americano with either single or double espresso pods.
However, it is recommended that other pods, such as gran lungo, coffee, and alto, would be unsuitable for Americano as it affects the flavor quality.
For a strong experience, Diavolitto Nespresso Vertuoline capsules are best. You can buy these from the link below.
However, if you don’t like strong coffee, then go with Altissio Nespresso Vertuoline capsules. These are best for Americano with mild flavors. You can buy these from the link below.
How to make Iced Americano with a Nespresso machine?
The steps for preparing an iced Americano are very similar to those for making a traditional Americano. You don’t need any special equipment to make your Americano cooled, unlike cold brew coffee. You can make your own iced Americano using just espresso and ice.
- a double espresso shot or a triple shot(according to your preference) for a bolder taste
- Ice cubes
- Cold Water
- A tall glass or cup
You may make an iced Americano by adding cold water to your espresso instead of hot water.
- For a single espresso, use 3 ounces of cold water
- For Double espresso, roughly use 5.5 ounces of cold water
The ultimate trick with an iced Americano is to keep the hot coffee from melting the ice. Add the cold water to the espresso, swirl it to release some heat, and then add the ice. This method will still result in some melting. To adjust for this, you might need to start with less water.
Otherwise, you can use a Hyper chiller to rapidly cool the coffee.
Difference between Lungo and Americano?
Many people are confused between Lungo and Americano. They consider these two the same thing. However, they are very much distinct from each other. Lungo is not the same thing as Americano. Lungo, also known as “Long” in Italian, is a shot of espresso which is pulled for a longer period of time.
Therefore, preparing Americano with a Nespresso machine is not as simple as just pressing the Lungo button or using a Gran Lungo Vertuo pod. Lungo uses more water than regular espresso. However, Nespresso lungo uses less water compared to Nespresso Americano.
Additionally, Lungo tastes much bitter as compared to Americano.
Most Frequently asked Questions
What is the correct espresso-to-water ratio in Americano?
The water-to-espresso ratio in a regular cafe Americano is usually 2 to 1 or 3 to 1. This implies you should add 2 or 3 ounces of water to every ounce of espresso in your Americano. However, because everyone’s tastes differ, you can adjust this ratio according to your taste.
- Is Nespresso Machine worth it
- Can you use Nespresso pods twice
- Why Nespresso coffee tastes burnt and bad
- How to empty Nespresso machine
- How long does Nespresso machines last
I am Johny Morrisson! Founder of CoffeeAbout
My love for coffee dates back to my childhood. I love trying out different coffee machines and recipes.
As a coffee enthusiast, I decided to start my blog last year to provide users with useful information on brewing methods.
During this journey, I have discovered many new things and facts about coffee that I will share with you here.