Nespresso is a highly conventional coffee machine that provides an unmatched combination of convenience and innovation, allowing you to create espresso-style coffee just at the push of a button. However, if you don’t take care of your machine, your machine will surely be lost its charm to brew coffee.
Caring for the Nespresso machine means proper cleaning and descaling on time, as it not only helps in prolonged Nespresso machine life, but it will surely serve you great cups of coffee.
I have made this guide pretty simple, so you don’t need to go back to different portions of descaling Videos repeatedly.
This step-by-step guide works for all types of Nespresso vertuo line machines, whether you have Nespresso vertuo next, plus, or Evoluo.
Read a detailed comparison between Nespresso Vertuo Next vs Plus
nespresso vertuo descaling Guidlines
Before descaling, make sure that there is no previous pod in the machine from the last time you brewed.
General Vertuo line descaling Guidelines:
- The duration for descaling is approximately 20 minutes.
- You can’t exit the descaling cycle once entered without completing the descaling cycle.
- If you remove the plug during the descaling cycle the machine will again go into the descaling cycle when plugged in.
- The descaling solution can be harmful to the skin or eyes. So, use it with caution.
Can you descale Nespresso vertuo with vinegar?
A very commonly asked question is, is using Vinegar safe for descaling?
Vinegar leaves a stronger pungent smell on whatever you clean with it. If you use it to clean the coffee machine, then you should run at least two rinse cycles otherwise it will ruin the taste of your coffee.
However, NESPRESSO recommends that you should never descale your Nespresso Vertuo line machines with Vinegar as white Vinegar contain approx. 5-8% acetic acid. These types of acids can cause mental breakdowns and ultimately lead your Nespresso machine to leak.
So, instead of damaging your Nespresso vertuo line machines with white Vinegar, use the Manufacturer’s recommended descaling kit to descale your machine, as these solutions contain safer and more effective types of acids.
Recommended Nespresso Descaling solutions
|Universal Descaling Solution for Keurig, Nespresso, Coffee machines||Highly Effective at an Excellent ValueSuitable for All Types of Machines||View on Amazon|
|NESPRESSO DESCALING KIT||DESCALING KIT Set of 2 descaling kits Available at a lower price||View on Amazon|
|Coffee Machine Descaler and Cleaner||Powerful & Versatile|
Compatible with Any Machine
|View on Amazon|
how to descale nespresso vertuo machines
Nespresso Vertuoline has 4 models:
- Vetuo Next
- Vertuo Plus
- Vertuo Evoluo
The descaling procedure for Vertuo Next, Vertuo, and Evoluo is exactly the same and slightly different for the Vertuo Plus model.
i) Descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next, Vertuo Evoluo and Vertuo
For Vertuo Next, Vertuo, and Evoluo, the orange light blinks to indicate that it’s time to descale your machine. You can also use the Manufacturer’s instruction user manual to see an illustrated step-by-step for how to descale the Nespresso Vertuo Next.
- Empty the capsule container and the drip tray. You can remove the cup support during the descaling.
- Add one bottle of the descaling solution and 0.5 liters of clean water to the tank.
- Open the machine head and make sure that there isn’t any used capsule present.
- Close and lock the machine and press the button to heat the machine. The light will start blinking during heating and turns steady when the machine is ready.
- To enter the machine in descaling mode, move the lever to the unlocked position and press and hold the button for at least 7 seconds. The machine will start blinking after 7 seconds.
- After the button blinks, you now have 45 seconds to begin the descaling process. Otherwise, the machine will return to brew coffee mode.
- Lock the machine by turning the lever left until it reaches the lock sign, and again unlock by turning the lever right. Now press and hold the button for approx 7 seconds until the light turns off.
- In a few seconds, the light will again start blinking rapidly, indicating that you have successfully entered the descaling mode.
- Place a container under the coffee outlet.
- Lock the machine by turning the lever to the left, and push the button to begin descaling. The light will keep blinking continuously and quickly throughout the descaling process.
- When the descaling first phase is completed, the machine will stop.
- Thoroughly clean and rinse the water tank, drip tray, and capsule container with warm, soapy water.
- Now fill the water reservoir with clean water and push the button.
- When the light stops flashing and becomes steady, that indicates the process is completed.
- Allow machine to dry for the time of approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Now your machine is ready for use.
II) Nespresso Vertuo Plus descaling
The descaling process of vertuo plus is slightly different from other vertuo line Nespresso machines.
- Turn on the machine.
- Eject any used capsule from the machine and push the lever down to close.
- Switch off the coffee maker by pressing the lever for 3 seconds.
- Make sure to empty the capsule container and cup support.
- Add one packet of a descaling solution and 0.5 liters of water to the water tank
- Simultaneously press the button and lever for 3 seconds. A steady orange light indicates the machine is entered into a special menu function.
- To select descaling, press the lever down one more time ( Do it within two minutes unless the machine will go back into brew coffee mode).
- Place a container under the coffee outlet.
- Push the button to start the descaling process. When the procedure is completed, the machine will stop. (Orange light will keep blinking throughout the descaling process)
- Empty and clean the water tank and rinse the cup support.
- Thoroughly clean the cup support and drip tray.
- Fill the water tank with fresh drinking water
- To rinse, press the button one more. The machine will automatically stop after the rinsing process.
- The ORANGE light blinking once every 2 seconds confirms the descaling process is completed.
- To leave the descaling mode, Hold down the button and the lever simultaneously for 3 seconds. The light will go from orange to green.
- Allow it 10 minutes to dry before using.
How often do you need to descale your Nespresso machine?
Apart from regular cleaning or at least weekly cleaning, Nespresso recommends descaling your Nespresso Machine once every 3-6 months or after brewing 300 cups of coffee; whatever will come first!
Additionally, if you’re graphical location has hard water, and you use hard water for brewing coffee, then you might need to descale your machine more frequently as hard water means more mineral content, and more mineral content ultimately leads to more scale buildup inside the machine.
Nespresso vertuoline machines have a light indicator mechanism that lets you know that it’s time to describe your machine.
- For Vertuo plus machines, the light will be half red and half green or yellow
- For Vertuo Next, Vertuo, and Evoluo, the blinking orange light indicate that it’s time to descale your machine.
Although you can still use the machine for some time after the warning light indication, it is highly recommended to descale your machine as soon as possible.
If you notice any of the following conditions then you must descale your machine as soon as you get the chance (even if the descaling light doesn’t blink).
- Nespresso coffee tastes burnt bitter or bad
- The coffee is not as hot as it used to be
- Your Nespresso machine is leaking coffee or water
- Your machine is making more noise than usual
- Your machine is dripping slowly
What to do if Vertuo Descaling Light won’t go off even after descaling?
If the light of your Nespresso remains on after the descaling process, then it is likely that extra scale buildup inside the machine. Ask yourself the following questions
Have you been ignoring the descale light for an extended period of time?
Do you use hard water?
Have you not followed the descaling instructions completely?
If your answer is yes! Then try descaling one more time to get rid of this problem.
If the light still remains ON you can try Resetting the Machine or contact Nespresso customer professional support to help you.
Read a detailed guide on Nespresso stuck in descaling mode
Final Thoughts on Nespresso Vertuo Descaling
Hope this guide has helped you in the proper descaling of your Nespresso Vertuo Model.
By descaling your machine on time, you not only extend its lifespan but also preserves the rich flavors of your coffee.
If you want to enjoy a good cup of coffee regularly, it is important to clean and descale your machine regularly.
WHY DID YOU NEED TO DESCALE YOUR NESPRESSO MACHINE?
The ultimate answer is that the water we use to brew coffee from Nespresso capsules contains minerals. To brew coffee, water must be heated to a high temperature, which separates these minerals from the water.
And over time, these minerals start accumulating inside the machine. If these minerals are left untreated, they can negatively impact machine temperature, the taste of your coffee, and water flow through the machine.
Can you descale Nespresso Vertuo with just water?
You can run a descaling cycle with just water but it won’t help (it will be the same as the rinsing cycle).
Chemicals in descaling solutions break down and remove scale from inside coffee machines, something that cannot be done with just water.