By properly cleaning and descaling your Nespresso Vertuo machine on time, you can extend its lifespan and enjoy great-tasting coffee for years to come.
I have made this guide pretty simple, so you don’t need to go back to different portions of descaling Nespresso Vertuo Videos repeatedly.
This step-by-step guide works for all types of Nespresso Vertuo line machines, whether you have Nespresso Vertuo next, plus, or Evoluo.
Read a detailed comparison between Nespresso Vertuo Next vs Plus
nespresso vertuo descaling Guidlines
Before descaling, make sure that there is no previous pod in the machine from the last time you brewed.
General Vertuo line descaling Guidelines
- The duration for descaling is approximately 20 minutes.
- You can’t exit the descaling cycle once entered without completing the descaling cycle.
- If you remove the plug during the descaling cycle the machine will again go into the descaling cycle when plugged in.
- The descaling solution can be harmful to the skin or eyes. So, use it with caution.
Can you descale Nespresso Vertuo with vinegar?
A very commonly asked question is, is using Vinegar safe for descaling?
Yes, you can use Vinegar to descale the Nespresso Vertuo machine. However, the Vinegar leaves a strong pungent smell. If you use it to clean the coffee machine, then you should run at least two rinse cycles otherwise it will impart a very bad taste to your coffee drink.
However, NESPRESSO recommends against descaling the coffee machines with vinegar, as it contains 5-8% acetic acid. This type of acid can damage your machine and cause it to leak.
So, it’s best to stick to the Manufacturer’s recommended descaling kit to descale your machine, as these solutions contain safer and more effective types of acids.
Recommended Nespresso Descaling solutions
|Universal Descaling Solution for Keurig, Nespresso, Coffee machines||Highly Effective at an Excellent ValueSuitable for All Types of Machines||View on Amazon|
|NESPRESSO DESCALING KIT||DESCALING KIT Set of 2 descaling kits Available at a lower price||View on Amazon|
|Coffee Machine Descaler and Cleaner||Powerful & Versatile|
Compatible with Any Machine
|View on Amazon|
how to descale nespresso vertuo machines
Nespresso Vertuoline has 4 models:
- Vetuo Next
- Vertuo Plus
- Vertuo Evoluo
The descaling procedure for Vertuo Next, Vertuo, and Evoluo is exactly the same and slightly different for the Vertuo Plus model.
i) Descaling Nespresso Vertuo Next, Vertuo Evoluo and Vertuo
The blinking orange light on your Vertuo Next, Vertuo, or Evoluo machine is a reminder that it’s time to descale.
Here are the Step-by-step instructions:
- Ensure the machine is turned off and that you have no capsules in the machine.
- Add one bottle of the descaling solution and 0.5 liters of clean water to the tank.
- Close and lock the machine and press the button to heat the machine. The light will start blinking during heating and turn steady when the machine is ready.
- To enter the machine in descaling mode, move the lever to the unlocked position and press and hold the button for 7 seconds. The machine will start blinking after 7 seconds.
- After the button blinks, you now have 45 seconds to begin the descaling process. Otherwise, the machine will return to brew coffee mode.
- Lock the machine by turning the lever left, and again unlock it by turning the lever right. Now press and hold the button for approx 7 seconds until the light turns off.
- In a few seconds, the light will again start blinking rapidly, indicating that you have successfully entered the descaling mode.
- Place a container under the coffee outlet.
- Lock the machine by turning the lever to the left, and push the button to begin descaling. The light will keep blinking continuously and quickly throughout the descaling process.
- When the first phase of descaling is completed, the machine will stop.
- Thoroughly clean and rinse the water tank, drip tray, and capsule container with warm, soapy water.
- Now fill the water reservoir with clean water and push the button.
- When the light stops flashing and becomes steady, that indicates the process is completed.
- Allow the machine to dry for the time of approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Now your machine is ready for use.
II) Nespresso Vertuo Plus descaling
The descaling process of Vertuo Plus is slightly different from other Vertuo line Nespresso machines.
- Turn on the machine. Eject any used capsule from the machine and push the lever down to close.
- Switch off the coffee maker by pressing the lever for 3 seconds.
- Make sure to empty the capsule container and cup support.
- Add one packet of a descaling solution and 0.5 liters of water to the water tank
- Press the button and lever at the same time for 3 seconds. A steady orange light indicates the machine is entered into a special menu function.
- To select descaling, press the lever down one more time (Do it within two minutes unless the machine will go back to normal mode).
- Place a container under the coffee outlet.
- Push the button to start the descaling process. When the procedure is completed, the machine will stop. (Orange light will keep blinking throughout the descaling process)
- Empty and clean the water tank, waste capsule container, and cup support.
- Fill the water tank with fresh drinking water
- Press the button one more time to start the rinsing cycle. The machine will automatically stop after the rinsing process.
- The ORANGE light blinking once every 2 seconds confirms the descaling process is completed.
- To leave the descaling mode, Hold down the button and the lever simultaneously for 3 seconds. The light will go from orange to green.
- Allow it 10 minutes to dry before using.
How to descale Nespresso without the Kit?
While the official Nespresso descaling kit works is the best option, there are a few alternative options if you don’t have it:
- Make a solution of 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts water.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice with water to create a natural descaling solution.
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of citric acid into a full water reservoir.
Always remember to run 2-3 rinsing cycles thoroughly with fresh water after descaling to flush out any residual solution. As Vinegar leaves a very bad smell that can ruin your coffee experience.
How often should you descale your Nespresso Vertuo machine?
Apart from regular cleaning, Nespresso recommends descaling your Nespresso Machine once every 3-6 months or after brewing 300 cups of coffee; whatever will come first!
Additionally, if you hard water for brewing coffee, then you might need to descale your machine more frequently as hard water means more mineral content, and more mineral content ultimately leads to more scale buildup inside the machine.
Nespresso Vertuoline machines have a light indicator mechanism that lets you know that it’s time to descale your machine.
- For Vertuo plus machines, the light will be half red and half green or yellow
- For Vertuo Next, Vertuo, and Evoluo, the orange light indicates that it’s time to descale your machine.
Although you can still use the machine for some time after the warning light indication, it is highly recommended to descale your machine as soon as possible.
If you notice any of the following conditions then you must descale your machine as soon as you get the chance (even if the descaling light doesn’t blink).
What to do if Vertuo Descaling Light won’t go off even after descaling?
If the light of your Nespresso remains on after the descaling process, then it is likely that extra scale buildup inside the machine. Ask yourself the following questions
Have you been ignoring the descale light for an extended period of time?
Do you use hard water?
Have you not followed the descaling instructions completely?
If your answer is yes! Then try descaling one more time to get rid of this problem.
If the light still remains ON you can try Resetting the Machine or contact Nespresso customer professional support to help you.
In conclusion, descaling your Nespresso Vertuo machine is a simple yet crucial step in keeping your coffee experience top-notch.
By removing those mineral deposits and built-up impurities, your coffee will taste as delicious as the day you unboxed your machine.
I hope this guide has been informative and helpful in keeping your Nespresso machine in tip-top shape.
If you have any questions, tips, or your own descaling experiences, we’d love to hear from you. Drop us a comment below and share your thoughts!
Can you descale Nespresso Vertuo with just water?
You can run a descaling cycle with just water but it won’t help (it will be the same as the rinsing cycle).
Chemicals in descaling solutions break down and remove scale from the inside of machines, something that cannot be done with just water.