If you want your French Press coffee in a delicious way every time, you’ll have to get the right tool for the job. There are many expert French Press coffee makers out there, but if you want to brew the absolute perfect cup of French Press, you’ll need an expert grinder. So, what’s the best electric coffee grinder for French Press?
Many electric coffee grinders are available in the market; you might get confused while choosing a perfect grinder for yourself. So, we have researched and rounded up the 7 best electric coffee grinders.
Electric Coffee grinders for french press can be differentiated based on the grinding element, i-e, blade or burr, grind settings, power usage, price, and many other features we will discuss later in this article.
Why you should buy a coffee grinder for French Press?
You can buy pre-ground coffee beans for French Press, but if you like a fresh and rich cup of French Press Coffee, I recommend you buy whole beans coffee and a grinder for yourself.
Ground coffee beans stales and lose their freshness and quality more quickly than whole beans coffee.
If you use pre-ground coffee beans to make coffee, I bet you will notice a significant difference in the taste when you brew coffee with freshly grounded beans.
The flavor and the aroma you will experience with freshly grounded coffee beans will be heavenly, and you will surely never go back to pre-grounded coffee beans.
If you are also looking for kettles for French Press. Then check our guide on Best electric kettles for the french press.
What is the best grind size for French Press?
Choosing the right grind size for French Press coffee is very important. The perfect grind size for French Press in coarse or medium coarse.
If you use fine grounds with the French press coffee maker, the fine grounds will make their way through the strainer of French Press, and your coffee will taste muddy.
Or, if you are using too much coarse grounds, the grounds will remain under-extracted, and you will not be able to enjoy the authentic flavors of coffee beans.
You can test different grind settings in the range of medium-coarse to coarse and select the settings for yourself at which you experience the best taste.
7 best electric coffee grinders for French Press
|My Choice||My Choice||Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder||
||View On Amazon|
|Expensive but highly consistent||Expensive but highly consistent||Fellow Ode Brew Grinder||
||View On Amazon|
|Most advanced choice with LCD Panel||Most advanced choice with LCD Panel||Breville BCG820BSS Smart Grinder Pro||
||View On Amazon|
|Simple and easy to use||Simple and easy to use||OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder||
||View On Amazon|
|Easy to clean and maintain||Easy to clean and maintain||Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder||
||View On Amazon|
|Economical and highly rated choice||Economical and highly rated choice||Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill||
||View On Amazon|
|Most Economical choice||Most Economical choice||Chefman Coffee Grinder Electric Burr Mill||
||View On Amazon|
1. Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
Designed to deliver the perfect grind, Baratza’s Encore Conical Burr Grinder is a highly rated expert-level grinder that’s ideal for any home or office.
Baratza coffee grinders are trusted by Baristas and coffee professionals from all over the World. Baratza has also been awarded by National Coffee Association for making World-class coffee grinders.
|Item Weight||6.83 pounds|
|Material||A mix of Steel and Plastic|
|Dimensions||4.7 x 6.3 x 13.8 inches|
|Color||Available in black and white|
- Consistency is the key for coffee grinds, and with Baratza Encore, you will get the most consistent coffee grounds in size.
- This coffee grinder is straightforward to use with a simple ON/OFF button.
- Baratza encore offers 40 different grind settings from ultra-fine to very coarse. So, you can easily use these grounds for the type of coffee you want to have.
- This coffee grinder has a portable design with very small footprints. So, it doesn’t take much space on your kitchen counter.
- The best thing about the Baratza grinder is that its parts are easily serviceable and replaceable. As we know, moving parts in the machines wears very quickly, and they become junk after 1 or 2 years of use. But if you buy Baratza grinders, you don’t have to worry about that; you can easily replace the parts and use it for years.
2. Fellow Ode Brew Grinder – Electric Burr Coffee Grinder
The Fellow Ode Brew Grinder has been designed for people looking for the perfect quality and performance of a real-life café grinder. It is a powerful, precise, and quieter grinder with unique café accessories.
|Item Weight||11 pounds|
|Dimensions||4.7 x 9.5 x 9.4 inches|
- This machine has 11 different settings with 31 steps to grind the beans for any coffee you want. To find the perfect taste, you can easily do the A/B testing with different grind settings.
- The best thing about this grinder is that it doesn’t make too much noise like other coffee grinders. It has a smooth and quieter operation.
- This grinder comes in matte black color and has a unique and decent design.
- This machine has 64mm flat burrs and is designed for ultimate consistency and quick operation.
- This machine has an auto-stop feature that stops the machine right after the last coffee beans passes through the burr. This makes the machine more reliable and energy-efficient.
3. Breville BCG820BSS Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder
The Breville BCG820BSS Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder features a unique 60-setting conical burr grinder. With precise settings from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press grind, it’s perfect for grinding just the right amount of coffee beans every time you brew.
|Item Weight||6.4 pounds|
|Dimensions||8.5 x 6 x 15.5 inches|
|Color||Brushed Stainless Steel|
- Breville Smart grinder has specially designed conical burrs which minimize the grinding heat and protect the essential coffee oils from burning.
- This grinder has 60 different grind settings, from fine for Espresso to coarse for French press and cold brew.
- The special thing about this grinder is that it has a Smart LCD panel display where you can easily adjust the grind settings and the shots/cups for espresso/French press.
- This grinder has special IQ technology; with this technology, you just have to select the shots of Espresso or cups of French press you want, and it will grind just the right amount needed for it.
4. OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
The OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is an ideal essential tool that allows you to make the perfect cup of coffee every time.
|Item Weight||6.58 pounds|
|Dimensions||5.3 x 7.75 x 12.8 inches|
- This machine has 15 different grind settings with three steps among each, from very fine to coarse.
- Oxo has 40mm conical burrs, giving you the most grounds without losing any flavor.
- It is very easy to use and has a simple one-touch start.
- The best thing about this grinder is that its timer remembers your last settings, and you just have to push one button, and your grounds will be ready.
5. Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder
Capresso Infinity Burr is the most versatile burr grinder available. From ultrafine Turkish to French press coarse and everything in between, you can grind your coffee just the way you like it. Capresso Infinity is a durable, powerful, and versatile burr grinder with a wide range of grinding options.
|Item Weight||4 pounds|
|Dimensions||14.6 x 9.6 x 7.8 inches|
- Capresso Infinity has hand-assembled commercial-grade conical burrs that provide you with the most consistent coffee grounds with the highest precision.
- This machine has 16 different grind settings, from ultra-fine for Turkish coffee to coarse for French Press.
- The specially designed burrs of this grinder produce less friction and heat, which protects the flavor and aroma of coffee grounds.
- The upper burr of this grinder can be easily removable for cleaning purposes.
6. Cuisinart DBM-8W Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill
The Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill is the perfect way to ensure that you get the best flavor possible. With the high-quality stainless steel burrs and a precise grinding design, you can achieve a perfectly ground coffee every time.
|Item Weight||4.5 pounds|
|Dimensions||10.75 x 7.13 x 6 inches|
|Color||Alloy steel color|
- Cuisinart DBM-8W has 18 different grind settings. So, you can always have the perfect size of grounds for the type of coffee you want.
- This machine has conical burrs, which delivers a consistent grind size every time you use it.
- The modern, elegant design is sure to improve the overall appearance of your kitchen.
- The design of this machine is very straightforward, and it’s very easy to use.
7. Chefman Coffee Grinder Electric Burr Mill
The Chefman Electric Burr Mill coffee grinder is an excellent addition to any kitchen. It’s easy to use and makes coffee that’s freshly ground every time.
|Item Weight||2.35 pounds|
|Dimensions||4 x 8 x 5 inches|
- This grinder has 17 different grind settings, with 17 being the finest for Turkish coffee or Espresso and 1 being the coarsest for French press or cold brew.
- This grinder has a single-touch operation; just adjust the grind settings and push the start button, and your grounds will be ready in a few time.
- Its burr grinding disc and container is easily removable for easy cleaning.
- It’s a relatively cheaper option among all the burr grinders available in the market.
Blade vs Burr coffee grinder for French Press? | Which you should choose?
All the electric coffee grinders mentioned above are burr grinders. Because I certainly don’t want you to buy blade grinders for yourself.
Blade grinders are also extensively available and are much cheaper than burr grinders. But there are two main reasons I prefer burr grinders over blade grinders.
The first one is you can’t select the grind settings in Blade grinder. The blade grinder will always give you the same size of grounds which is somewhat coarse.
Although coarse grounds are recommended for the French Press coffee maker, but the grind size you get with blade grinders is very far from being consistent.
The second reason is that the blades produce too much heat during the grinding process, which burns the essential oil present inside the coffee beans, and the flavor of the coffee will get burnt.
On the other hand, in burr grinders, coffee beans pass through two gears or burrs of similar size, which produces a consistent grind size. And you can easily change the grind settings by adjusting the spacing of gears.
If you are going to buy a grinder for yourself, you are definitely looking for the most flavorful and consistent taste. You can get a fresh taste with a blade grinder, but it will not be consistent.
Although you can only get the best cup of French Press coffee with whole bean coffee. But if you don’t want to get yourself into the fuss of grinding coffee beans. Then you can try this pre-ground coffee for French Press.
How to select the best electric coffee grinder for French Press?
There are many factors to consider while choosing the best electric grinder for yourself.
One factor mentioned above is that if you want a consistent taste, you should always choose burr grinders over blade grinders.
And now I am going to discuss four additional factors to make your choice easier.
You must check the grind settings of the grinder you are going to buy. Almost all the burr grinders have grind settings from extra fine to extra coarse.
As discussed above, for French Press, a medium-coarse setting is the best. If you buy a burr grinder with, say, 40 different settings, you can test 6-7 different settings in the coarse region and select the grind settings that suit your taste the best.
With blade grinders, you can’t enjoy the luxury of different grind settings. You will always get the same coarse grind size, which will not be consistent either.
Consistency of the grind size is the key to getting the most flavorful cup of coffee.
If the grinder you have produces uneven grind size, some grounds will be too fine, and some will be too coarse. The fine grinds will get over-extracted while the coarse grounds will remain under-extracted, resulting in an inconsistent cup of coffee.
Burr grinders produce fairly consistent grinds. There are further two types in burrs i-e flat and conical. Flat burr grinders are more expensive than conical burr grinders, and they produce the most consistent grounds possible.
If you are a coffee enthusiast and afford the price, then I recommend you to go with Fellow Ode Brew Grinder, it will give you the most consistent grind possible.
Cleaning and maintenance
The electric coffee grinder you are going to buy must be easy to clean. Because if the grinder will not get cleaned properly, the old coffee grounds will make their way to your French Press and makes the taste unpleasant.
Moving parts wear very quickly, and after a year or two, if not appropriately maintained, they become junk. So, consider buying a grinder for yourself, which you can use for years by easily replacing the moving parts.
All the moving parts of Baratza Encore are replaceable and available at economical prices, so you can easily use your grinder for years.
It’s always wise to pick the cheap alternative while choosing among two almost the same things.
But if you have to choose between blade grinder or burr grinder. Don’t go for a cheaper choice; buy a burr grinder. There are also cheaper options available in burr grinders.
BARATZA ENCORE | MY recommendations
I have been using Baratza Encore for two years. And I highly recommend this grinder to you because of two reasons.
I like both the French Press and Espresso and I grind with coffee beans with both fine and coarse settings for the different drinks and I always get the consistent size.
It’s a very durable machine and it is very easy to clean.
You can easily replace its burrs after one or two years when they start wearing.
Can you use an electric coffee grinder for the French press?
Yes, you can use both the manual and electric coffee grinders for French Press.
But as we know coarse grind is recommended for the French Press. So always make sure before buying that the grinder is capable of delivering consistent coarse grinds.
Do you need a special coffee grinder for the French press?
No, you don’t need to have a special coffee grinder for French Press. You can use any burr coffee grinder for making a perfect cup of French. However, using a blade grinder is not recommended.